Monday, March 7, 2011

An Extra Post about a Really Cool School!


As I was watching a PBS video about green design with my AP students last week, we discovered a very interesting school in New Jersey called the Willow School. A pre-k to 8th grade day school, the building itself emphasizes so many elements of the curriculum design I wrote about for class. The building itself teaches, and so many lessons are linked to the thought process that went into the green design and thoughtful environmental development of the school itself! I decided to explore a bit further, and discovered the school website (http://www.willowschool.org/index.htm) give many more details about the philosophy and mission of the school.

While stuck embracing traditional scheduling and a typical school-year calendar, in many other ways this school struck home with me. The school looks at creativity, interdisciplinary learning, the joy of learning, academic excellence, and mastery of the English language as its primary goals. How nice that a school wants students to be desirous of knowledge! One of the focal points is an understanding of place, and the school works to foster natural curiosity as a cornerstone to learning. As a science geek, I relished that of the three emphasized curriculum focal points, ecology was one! I honestly couldn't stop reading.

As we work on looking at innovative schools and ways to make curriculum more relevant, authentic, and lasting, I really think this is one great model of how it can be done. I only wish I lived closer, both for myself and for my daughter!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jenn,
    What is really nice about this - is that there seems to be a focused "narrative" that encompasses the school. As our culture changes (so rapidly at this point), I think a focused narrative, a moral/ethic/story that a community feels is critical could be the focus of the curriculum. The question of why do we have to learn this could fade away...Ready to start that innovative school with me?

    Cheers!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! I also thought of you when we read about the district (state?) that is encouraging teachers to write their own curriculum materials - let's get that online, open-source life science book going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting...thanks Jenn...I'll take a look.

    ReplyDelete