Monday, February 14, 2011

Promising Futures

For class this week, I began with the Promising Futures report on secondary schools. It was incredibly interesting to me, as a high school teacher. I felt like I knew what was best and worst about my school, having been there for a while, participating on every known team there is, and chairing one of our accreditation teams. So, it was a bit surprising to read the report and realize that even some of the elements we are most proud of need revision, and some of the things we are dying to get rid of or have gotten away from are actually recommendations of the report. While working incredibly hard, and thinking very carefully and deeply, and trying nearly every new thing out there, we really haven't come very far at all from the reality of public high schools when Promising Futures was written.

As I began reading, I felt like we had some, but definitely not all, of the core practices recommended in the report. We respect our students (from my perspective - others might disagree, including the students!), have some collaborative teaming, and have professional development plans. However, we are missing many of the other core practices - there is little student voice in what or how they learn material. The students are very unfamiliar with the learning results and standards they are required to master, never mind how our plan for them will help them accomplish this. In fact, when I moved on to the "practices to phase out" section, I was dismayed to see that we still adhere to every single one. That's right - from a master schedule through graduation requirements based on Carnegie Units and the holding tank mentality, we have not begun to phase out any of these identified "worst" practices.

I pondered as I read, what would a school like this even look like? Tackling the first one, getting rid of a master schedule, is mind-boggling to even think about. It came down to an issue of trust for me, but perhaps this is just how I've been feeling lately professionally. The master schedule is there, it seems to me, to keep track of who is doing what when, and ensure that it's all "fair." Each teacher needs to have similar class loads, teaching time, and duty schedules, in order to maintain fairness. However, when it really is examined, the master schedule doesn't take into account what is truly done, and the "fairness" is superficial. Science teachers (a personal favorite of course) have quite a bit of set-up, take-down, and maintenance that are not built into this "fair" schedule, while English and history teachers should have their written work grading requirements taken into account. Math is a critical skills-based class, but there is no extra time devoted to allowing practice with a guide. It must be built into instructional time.

We have flexed and bent in every direction to try and think outside the box, while refusing to get rid of the darn box. If we fail to remove barriers like scheduling, traditional school day and year calendars, lack of student and parent voice, and so on, this feeling of banging our heads against the wall will only continue, because we are not removing the walls in our way. I'd like to be able to envision a Promising Futures school, because at least with an understanding and vision of how it might work, I could begin to initiate some phasing out and introduction of core practices in my own school.

4 comments:

  1. The core practice are definitely list of expectations that are very high but many of which I already use in my room. I use collaborative groups in my room and they are heterogeneously grouped. It is not always easy to conduct groups this way and students sometimes struggle but they I think get more out of it.
    I think the core practice that stood out the most was 5. "Students Make Choices" it says "Every student makes informed choices about education and participation in school life and takes responsibility for the consequences of those choices." I think right now many students don't get choices about their education. Some feel that school doesn't give them what they need to succeed in life so they do anything they can to avoid the choices they are being given. We need students to take responsibility and want to make the choices that will influence their futures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "darn box" certainly hems us in. It is THE biggest barrier to innovation and improvement in schools. I find it very interesting that it continues to hold us back in nearly every way.

    Had you not seen Promising Futures before this? There are other national reports about the high school...such as Breaking Ranks (and the new version of this report is coming out very soon).

    You might be interested that Dr. Gordon Donaldson, the co-chair of the commission that wrote PF is a resident of Lamoine, ME...and a former colleague of mine at UMaine. Gordon just retired from UMaine as well. It might be interesting to invite him to EHS or at least to talk to him about the report and what he thinks is still valid about it.

    Wait...I just remembered that Gordon Donaldson is a former principal of Ellsworth High School...quite a while ago. I'm guessing sometime during the period...1975-1983. Might be interesting to talk to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed - I just finished a class with Gordon not too long ago - possibly the last one he taught? We made the Ellsworth connection, and I really enjoyed the course with him. The course was about organizational theory, and we didn't touch so much on the curriculum and structure of a school piece as much as how administrators need to know the various levels of organizational theory - beyond bureaucratic-rational. I think it would be a great conversation to have with him, and others, about what pieces of Promising Futures are still important and valid - because in my recent read, it still feels like a very progressive model despite being 10 years old. The box, needless to say, has not disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn,
    I just attended an RSU meeting at your sister high school (Sumner). I was delighted to watch a presentation about their "pathways" program. I had though Pathways was an alternative high school program, for those students who can just not fit. What I found was, however, an amazing model for what high school could me for many rather than few. Students were taking college classes, working at local businesses, designing their own inquiry projects and spending their days preparing to guide their own futures. Do you know much about this program? You should check it out.

    Cheers,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete